These fires caused an annual average of 12 civilian deaths, 300 civilian fire injuries and $509 million in direct property damage.
Key findings include:
- 29% of fires involved shop tools and industrial equipment, and caused 54% of civilian fire injuries
- 15% of fires started in process / manufacturing areas or workrooms (the leading area of origin)
- 6% of fires started in machinery rooms or areas
- 11% of fires began with trash or waste
- 10% of fires began with flammable or combustible liquids or gases, filters, or piping
- 10% of fires began with dust, fiber, lint, sawdust or similar material
- 6% of fires began with electrical wire or cable insulation
Do you have adequate fire safety warning signs in key areas of your workplace? It might be worth another look to be sure.