The plan identifies measurable environmental and human health outcomes the public can expect over the next five years and describes how EPA intends to achieve those results. The agency's five strategic goals are:
- Taking action on climate change and improving air quality
- Protecting America's waters
- Cleaning up communities and advancing sustainable development
- Ensuring the safety of chemicals and preventing pollution
- Enforcing environmental laws
The agency says improved monitoring, timely and thorough permitting and vigorous enforcement will be its key tools for air-quality improvement.