- Read the label. If you need more information, check the MSDS.
- Dress the part. Wear proper protective clothing and equipment as required.
- Follow directions. If the label says, "use only with adequate ventilation," make sure you do.Never mix chemicals unless you've been trained and authorized.
- Know emergency procedures. Be familiar with first aid procedures, emergency eye wash showers and posted emergency phone numbers.
- Be careful. Don't work alone, don't hurry or take shortcuts.
- Report any suspected problems. Report any equipment that malfunctions or needs repair, as well as anything unusual about the chemicals.
- Keep your work area neat, clean and organized.
- Store everything properly. Close containers tightly. Keep flammables in a safe area.
July 20, 2011
SAFETY TIP: Basic Chemical Handling
Many chemicals have great potential to do great harm. Use these basic tips as a starting point to ensure safe chemical handling:
Posted by David Anderson