The directive outlines the types of businesses and the reasons why inspectors will review a company's workplace violence prevention efforts. Inspections will be conducted if:
- Workplace violence results in a worker fatality or three or more hospitalizations
- An employee files a workplace violence complaint, or
- The company is in an industry with known risk factors for workplace violence
- Healthcare and social service settings
- Late-night retail settings
Studies by NIOSH and other organizations show that employers who implement effective safety measures including employee training and conducting workplace analyses can reduce the incidence of workplace violence.