Here are some carbon monoxide safety tips for employers from the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety:
- Install an effective ventilation system that will remove carbon monoxide from work areas.
- Maintain water heaters, space heaters, cooking ranges and other potential CO-producing equipment in good working order.
- Use equipment powered by electricity, batteries or compressed air as an alternative to gasoline power.
- Install reliable CO detector alarms that give both visual and audible warnings.
- Don't allow the use of gasoline-powered engines or tools in poorly ventilated areas.
- Test air quality regularly in areas where CO may be present, including confined spaces.
- Have employees wear a certified breathing apparatus or supplied-air respirator in areas with high CO concentrations.
- Test air quality before anyone enters confined spaces where CO is suspected.
- Educate workers about CO sources and symptoms, how to protect themselves, and how to respond in case of an emergency.