Workers most at risk of incurring an eye injury are in the manufacturing, construction and trade industries. Use this NIOSH Eye Safety Checklist to help prevent eye injuries in your workplace:
1. Create a safe work environment:
- Minimize hazards from falling or unstable debris.
- Make sure tools work and safety features (machine guards) are in place.
- Make sure workers (particularly volunteers) know how to use tools properly.
- Keep bystanders out of the hazard area.
- Identify the primary hazards at the site.
- Identify hazards posed by nearby workers, large machinery, and falling/shifting debris.
- Select the appropriate Z87 eye protection for the hazard.
- Make sure the eye protection is in good condition.
- Make sure the eye protection fits properly and will stay in place.
- Brush, shake, or vacuum dust and debris from hardhats, hair, forehead or the top of eye protection before removing the protection.
- Do not rub eyes with dirty hands or clothing.
- Clean eyewear regularly.