Fall Protection in General Industry:
- Guard every floor hole into which a worker can accidentally walk by use of a railing and toeboard or a floor hole cover.
- Provide a guardrail and toeboard around every open-sided platform, floor or runway that is 4 feet or higher off the ground or next level.
- Regardless of height, if a worker can fall into or onto dangerous machines or equipment (such as a vat of acid or a conveyor belt), employers must provide guardrails and toeboards to prevent workers from falling and getting injured.
- Other means of fall protection that may be required on certain jobs include safety harness and line, safety nets, stair railings and handrails.
Fall Protection in Construction:
- Wear a harness and always stay connected
- Make sure your harness fits
- Use guardrails or lifelines
- Inspect all fall protection equipment before use
- Guard or cover all holes, openings, and skylights
- DON'T disconnect from the lifeline
- DON'T work around unprotected openings or skylights