|Propane Gas Safety Sign|
Many of the safety requirements for temporary heat may seem like common sense, but our safety consultants often see obvious safety hazards. Use these tips and contact your local fire department to determine requirements specific to your jobsite and location:
- Spaces where heaters are used must be well-ventilated. Install CO detectors in the area to detect any buildup of carbon monoxide.
- Heaters cannot be left running when a jobsite is unattended. If heaters must be run overnight, fire watch personnel must be present.
- Keep all flammable and combustible materials away from the heater. Do not lay coats or other flammable materials over or near a heater.
- LP gas cylinders must be stored outside in an upright position and secured so they don’t fall over. Protect the cylinders from mobile equipment moving in the area and post No Smoking signs in the storage area.
- Do not allow mobile equipment to drive over flexible fuel lines.
- When the heater(s) are not being used, shut off the LP gas supply at the cylinder valve.
- A fire extinguisher must be kept nearby in case of an emergency.