Do supplied-air respirator users at your workplace ever swap original hoses with different sized hoses? A recent notice from NIOSH says it's a bad idea. Here's why:
- Using non-original equipment manufacturer (OEM) hoses that are sized differently can result in too little or too much breathing air being delivered to the facepiece.
- Hoses that have not been subjected to NIOSH-approved quality assurance program may have other performance features that are not compatible for proper performance of the respirator.
- Respirators are approved by NIOSH as a single unit. Replacing NIOSH-approved parts, components and accessories with non-approved parts manufactured by another company voids the NIOSH approval.
- A modified configuration may void the manufacturer’s product warranty.
- Using non NIOSH-approved respirators places the employer at risk of citation and fines by OSHA, because OSHA requires the use of NIOSH-approved respirators.
If you have any questions about the device you are using, you may contact NIOSH at email@example.com or call 412-386-4000.